Thrombosis tele-advice now available
June 1, 2021
Thrombosis tele-advice is now available through Specialist LINK.
Calgary and area physicians and nurse practitioners can call the non-urgent advice line to ask questions about patients with confirmed or suspected Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and/or pulmonary embolism, thrombophilia testing and the need for thromboprophylaxis, with surgery or illness.
Confirmed or suspected DVT and/or pulmonary embolism:
- Advice on diagnostic tests
- Advice on general management
- Advice on therapeutics
- Other clinical questions related to a patient’s DVT and or PE
- In most situations’ thrombophilia testing as per Canadian Guidelines is NOT indicated
- Because the testing is expensive and rarely changes management decisions it needs to be approved by a thrombosis physician.
- If you would like to discuss whether your patient may have a role for testing please don’t hesitate to call.
Questions or concerns regarding the need for thromboprophylaxis with surgery or illness
What not to call about:
- Questions regarding anticoagulation in atrial fibrillation
- Questions regarding arterial thrombosis
Requesting tele-advice is simple: Visit specialistlink.ca and select the preferred service (in this case, hover over medicine before clicking on thrombosis). Tele-advice can also be requested by phoning 403-910-2551 and pressing 1, 1. You can expect to receive a call back within one hour. This service is available Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. It is closed on statutory holidays.
The addition of thrombosis means there are now 51 tele-advice services available via Specialist LINK. For more information, please download our tele-advice guide.
Make the most of your call
To make the most of tele-advice, please leave a direct number or cell phone for your call and limit patient-related questions to one patient per call. Allow an hour for a call-back – please don’t try submitting another request after 30 minutes. If you are working with a resident we recommend that you, as a preceptor, should also be on the call. This is important for billing reasons. Please just alert the consultant and ensure they are aware of this.
If you have any problems connecting with Specialist LINK tele-advice, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Specialist LINK administrator at 403-910-2551 (extension 0).
Return to News