Chronic diarrhea, sleep apnea, respirology pathways added
November 22, 2018
Three new enhanced primary care pathways have been added to the www.specialistlink.ca website, which provides family doctors in the Calgary area with information about diagnostic and treatment options for their patients.
Chronic diarrhea, sleep apnea and access to respirology are the latest additions to the website, which now features 20 pathways within six specialties. Four of those -- including respirology -- are access pathways, which help guide family physicians to the resources that are available to help them find the appropriate care for their patients.
Developed thanks to a unique partnership between the Calgary-area’s seven Primary Care Networks and Alberta Health Services specialists and support staff, the web-based guidelines help equip family physicians with the knowledge and support they need to determine if a patient needs urgent help, a referral or is better cared for within the doctor’s clinic or medical home.
A complete list of the available clinical care pathways, by specialty, is listed below:
- ENDOCRINOLOGY: Access pathway, thyroid nodules
- GASTROENTEROLOGY: Chronic constipation, chronic diarrhea, dyspepsia, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), helicobacter pylori, irritable bowel syndrome
- GENERAL NEUROLOGY: Access pathway, diabetic peripheral neuropathy, enhanced vertigo, headache and migraine, suspected essential tremor, suspected Parkinson’s disease (enhanced)
- HEPATOLOGY: Enhanced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- RESPIROLOGY: Access pathway, sleep apnea
- RHEUMATOLOGY: Access pathway, enhanced gout, peripheral arthritis
Specialist LINK was first established in 2014 and includes enhanced primary care pathways, as well as a non-urgent tele-advice line. Family physicians can call 403-910-2551 or toll-free at 1-844-962-5465, from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for chronic pain), excluding statutory holidays. Calls are returned within one hour. For more information and pathways, visit www.specialistlink.ca.
Return to News